Monday, February 25, 2008

Why we can't wait for Aiden to meet you.....MAMAW




Mamaw (also known as Pat Cox) is my grandmother, my dad's mom. Mamaw is by far one of my favorite people in the whole world and with each year I get older I treasure our relationship more and more. Mamaw is what I would describe as a silent warrior. She is incredibly strong while remaining kind and patient. She is quick to forgive when you mess up, although you always know when she is disappointed in you, she is never harsh. Mamaw always sees the best in all of us (her family) even when it is really hard to see. Mamaw is an incredible friend and great person to confide in, if you tell her something is a secret she will keep it.

I have so many wonderful memories of mamaw. When I was younger Jarod and I went to mamaw and bear's house because it was fun. It was like disney land. They would let us eat whatever we wanted and we would swim and mamaw would take me shopping and bear would take us to the pawn shop. We would eat almost every meal out and go see movies. It was great. Jarod and I chose to spend many of our weekends at mamaw and Bear's house. All of my shoping trips with mamaw are still some of my favorite memories, we would fight over what was too short, too tight or just difference of opinion on what was cute. Since I have gotten older some of my favorite memories of mamaw was our trip to london and paris where we stayed in less than luxury hotels, mamaw pointed out every sheep we went pass on the train, mamaw reading the menu to me even though it was in english, mamaw got her wallet stolen in paris and sent me off to Versailes alone. These are all great stories, but you might have had to be there. As far as road trips I can remember riding in the van to padre when jarod and I were little, driving to Longview (again mamaw pointed out all the different flowers we passed and we stopped to take pictures of dogwoods)driving to harding several times. My other favorite memories are all the holiday traditions where mamaw and I baked pies together for so many years and every christmas she would buy me a winter coat and we would go see the nutcracker ballet. Mamaw was always coming up with new crafts for us to do at the holidays....we have made gingerbread houses, potted flowers, painted wine glasses, baked cookies, I'm sure there were more. There was something about cookies that rise again for easter and you had to tape the oven door shut....and then its like Christ rising. I don't exactly remember the story, it was fun though. There was the time bear and mamaw rented a limousine for all the grandchildren to go look at christmas lights. There was the time when I got mamaw's class ring stuck on my finger and we had to go to the prima care to get it cut off, she later had it remade to fit me and gave it to me. Mamaw did a bunch of stuff to help with our wedding...from throwing us our engagement party, to going to the florist appointments with me, helping me search for bridesmaids dresses, making the cones that we put rose petals in, going to see the photographer and my bridal proofs with me, scouting out bass hall. Then when we moved to florida mamaw helped us pack, helped us drive here and helped us unpack and decorate our apartment. Other favorite memories of course include the greece trip (also known as best trip ever!!!) and when mamaw came to see me in Italy. Mamaw has been a huge part of my life in childhood and adulthood and I have so many wonderful memories of our time together that I can't wait to share with Aiden.

Mamaw will make an excellent great grandmother because she is by far the most wonderful grandmother I know. She has done countless things for me and with me. Mamaw is one of my favorite people and not in the (your my grandmother so i have to love you kind of way)....she is one of my favorite people because of our relationship, I call her just to talk to her because I miss her. I call her to tell her my problems, concerns, thoughts, feelings, and whatever else because we are friends. My relationship with mamaw is one that I treasure a great deal and I cannot wait for Aiden to start making his own memories with mamaw. She is one of the people who I have always been able to depend on. No matter what anyone in our family needs mamaw will show up. Whether it is a play, a game, a recital, a grandparents day, or whatever...mamaw will always be there if it is at all possible. Mamaw prays without ceasing for all of us and sometimes we even worry about what she is praying for because we all believe in her direct pipeline with God. Mamaw is one of the most incredible women I have ever met or known in my life...she was an amazing loving and supportive wife for 51 years, she has been an incredible mother of 3 for 49 years, and she has been the most wonderful, caring, dedicated, and loving grandmother for 27 years. There is no greater role model of what a Christian woman should be. If I can achieve half of what she has done with her family then I will consider myself a success. Everything that our family is we owe to the dedication and love of mamaw and bear. Their example of family, marriage, love, and faith have been priceless. I love mamaw more than I could ever convey in this little blog so I will close by saying we cannot wait for Aiden to meet you because we know he will love you as much as we do and you will be a huge influence and inspiration to him!! We love you so much mamaw!

5 comments:

Scooter Cox said...

Amen to all that!

We are blessed.

Kimbrliann said...

OK, hurry up and have this little HUMAN so you can stop making us CRY!!!

Mamaw is my very best friend.. She is the TRUE ROCK in the Cox family and Aiden and all of us are so incredibly lucky to have the HONOR of having her as our own!!

David Cox said...

i dont blog much but must admit you are right on about mamaw. aiden will be her pride and joy. as the first great grandchild, he will receive alot of love that has been brewing for awhile. he will also always be the first. i know first hand how special that is. that is not to say that it is better than the others, it just ............is.

Anonymous said...

1st is defenitely the best! They will long (and should) be referred to as the Golden Child.

I know Dad and I will welcome Aiden to the Golden Child Club!!

Right on w/Mamaw she is also the best!

Grandma Karen said...

I sure wish I lived close enough to spend time with your grandma. I'm sure we would have some fun great fun.

Grandma Karen