Friday, July 2, 2010

Getting ready for padre/ Hurricane???

This week has been absolutely nuts! For those that may not know our entire family (of now 20!) always goes to south padre island the week of the 4th of july. Always south padre island, always the week of the 4th of july. This is our 30th year to go! I'm not yet 30, but it's some of the older folks 30th year to go! :) This is the first year that we were seriously doubting whether or not the trip would be able to continue with hurricane alex predicted to hit SPI. As of wednesday it was looking gloomy for our family vacation. All flights in and out had been temporarily suspended, the main bridge to get to the island had been shut down and the beaches had been closed. Not good people! We didn't cancel any of our plans though and instead continued to pack like everything was going to come off without a hitch and apparently it has....

South padre island was not directly hit by the hurricane, although they did get quite a bit of wind, rain, and debris. The beaches have been re-opened, as well as the bridge and flights have been reinstated soooo we're going baby!!! We leave tomorrow morning for what is sure to be a memorable year at padre. There is rain in the forecast every single day. I have packed every option of clothing possible. From sundresses and bathing suits, to sweatsuits and jackets. I have inside clothes, I have outside clothes. I have "we're sitting in the condo clothes" I have "we're going out on the town" clothes. Who knows what it will be like all week long but one thing is for sure aiden and I are well prepared! As for ben...

All week long I've been asking ben "when are you going to pack?" and "do you want me to help you pack?". Keep in mind I have had aiden's and my clothes laid out on the floor in stacks all week long along with matching accessories, shoes, etc. Ben had yet to pack and this afternoon when he came home for lunch I reminded him in my very loving wife voice "honey you still need to pack"...with the undertone of "and if you don't do it soon I'm going to lose my patience" (we do leave tonight after all!)...all you wives out there know the tone to which I am referring, don't act like you don't! And to my astonishment, he walks into our room gets out 9 shirts, 9 pants, socks, underwear, and shoes and is packed in maybe 10 minutes?!?! WHAT?! That is infuriating! ALL week long I have been meticulously putting outfits together, laying out things aiden and I would need and carefully placing them in our suitcase as not to forget anything. I have no idea if ben is as prepared for the monsoon/ sunshine toss up weather forecast as I am but still he IS packed and in a fraction of the time it took me. Sometimes I really wish I was a guy!

I am soooo looking forward to this next week though. It is vacation, relaxation, family time for sure! I am looking forward to....

(pics from last year!)

loads of family time!
Smiles from aiden!
Hopefully some getting in the ocean time...
and some lounging on the beach time...

A happy 4th!!!
A happy aiden!!
A safe and uneventful plane ride!
And most of all precious time with those I love most!!!

Happy 4th to all of you and yours!

3 comments:

Sherry Bryant said...

Hope you all have a great and safe time!! See you when you get back. Happy 4th to all of you!

Grandma Karen said...

Have a great week! Looking forward to more pics.

Debbie said...

Have a wonderful time.