Monday, March 3, 2008

36 weeks =9 months = FULL TERM!!

Well today is a big day because it marks 36 weeks which of course means 9 months pregnant AND my favorite part....Aiden is considered to be FULL TERM. Babies born before 36 weeks are pre-term and born after 40 weeks are post-term. So if I were to go into labor today they would not do anything to try and stop it or slow it down. Not that I think I am anywhere close to going into labor, but it is excellent to know that according to modern medicine they think my baby is ready to be outside the womb! YAY!

So I went for my 36 week OB visit this morning and again everything was nice and boring. Blood pressure has actually gone down 110 over 70. I gained one pound putting me at the perfect 25 pound weight gain that they were looking for! Yay, I hope I am done gaining weight now because I am pretty sure I have no more room! They listened to Aiden's heart rate which was strong and healthy and 145 beats per minute. Then they did the dreaded internal exam. This exam was not pleasant and because it was not pleasant I am not going to elaborate on it, just know that it was painful. What we learned from the exam was that I am 50% effaced and Aiden is at -2 station and I haven't started to dialate. Some of you may already know what all that means but for those who dont....I have to get to 100% effaced so I am halfway there, I have to get to 10 centimeters dialated and I am not dialated at all so not even close to there, and Aiden needs to get to what they call zero station to be ready for birth. This is a measurement of where his head is in relationship to the pelvis and -2 means that his head is still floating approximately 2 centimeters above. Sooooo we have some work to do. My doctor again told me that she will be willing to schedule to induce for me but I have to have some dilation and be 39 weeks before she will schedule it. I want to be induced simply because it would be soooo much more helpful for the parts of my family that want to come and try and be here for the birth AND it would help me a lot with my school to know an actual day. It would be great if it could work out that way; however it will be ok if it doesn't also. It's all a waiting game.

So that was basically it on the OB visit. We are getting there but it is safe to say we won't be seeing our baby for at least a couple more weeks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news to hear that you and Aiden are doing so good. Cant wait to meet him!

Scooter Cox said...

I am ready to meet him too.

Glad you had a good check up.

Are you on a weekly schedule with the doctor now?

patcox said...

great news!!!

getting so excited about coming. wish Aiden could let us know a few days before he decides to acome!

I dont need much notice.

Hug Ben for me .. Look for a pkg. om the mail

Love, Mamaw

Anonymous said...

Glad you both are such good patients, we are all ready for mr aiden's grand arrival. can't wait to see you all. hug ben for me please.

Grandma Karen said...

Get as much sleep as you can now because soon you won't be getting much at any one time. Remember, sleep when the baby sleeps. DO NOT worry about keeping the apartment too tidy! Sleep is the most important thing next to feeding and changing Aiden. I can't beleive he's almost here.