
David Cox is my dad. He is the second most important man in my life. My dad is the person I admire most in the world.
I have so many wonderful memories of my dad. When we were little dad would take us to Grandy’s for breakfast every Saturday and mom couldn’t come because the rule was you weren’t allowed to get all cute. He would take us to the botanical gardens to look at flowers and to the Japanese gardens to feed the fish. I have lots of fond memories of dad on our family trips when we would go camping and skiing. I have so many memories of my dad that it would be hard to pick my favorite, we have had countless family trips, outings, holidays, etc. My favorite things now that I am older are all the things my dad did for me that I never noticed, acknowledged or probably even thanked him for. I took for granted how many times he had to take my car to get fixed or replace my tires. How often he had to get my oil changed or fix my bumper because I had knocked it off again. Now that I have to do these things myself I realize what a burden it is not just financially but in the time and maintenance and these are things my dad used to take care of without me ever knowing about.
My dad is the person I am most like in the world, I think, act, communicate, everything like him. His advice is whose I covet most and to this day if ben or I have a problem or dilemma my answer is always “to call my dad.” I respect my dad and his opinion more than anyone else’s. Not just because I think he is smart, but logical and truthful. My dad was for the longest time the ruler I used to measure what a good father, husband, and a good man was supposed to look like. As I’ve grown older I’ve been able to see a much different perspective of a man I’ve always known. The years have led me where I am now with more maturity and responsibilities….I can see much more clearly now the hardships, burdens of love, and the very many sacrifices he made for me and for our family. I don’t believe we could have ever found a more dedicated father than what he’s always been to us. He has taught me through his words and actions, the meaning of love, honesty, hard work, and sacrifices. He has always stood behind Jarod and I and accepted us. However; he always pushed us to live up to our full potential. My dad’s voice will forever be the voice in my head that pushes me to do better whatever the case may be. Sometimes it illuminates itself when I decide that I can be ok with just making sufficient grades or I think I am too tired to go to church. These are the moments when it is always dads voice I hear telling me I can do better, that I am better. His presence in my head and heart are constant inspirations to me.
I am so excited for Aiden to meet my dad because he will be the best “poppy” there has ever been. He will love Aiden more than Aiden will probably ever know, he will shower him with love and generosity. Between ben and my dad Aiden will have the best male role models. My dad is my biggest supporter, my greatest alli, and my most kindred spirit. Throughout my life he has been the person I have most admired and looked up to. His is the approval I covet most and to whose standards I aspire. I am so incredibly proud of my dad and so excited for the bond that Aiden will undoubtedly have with him. Dad, we love you more than we could ever say and we appreciate all that you are and all that you have done. We are so excited for Aiden to know and love you too!
3 comments:
David is a wonderful husband and father. Just like you Jenni, I take many of his strong characteristics for granted. I constantly hear about husbands who are big babies when they are sick. Not Dad! he is a quite warrior. The other complaint I often hear from women is how their husband will not step up and be the spiritual leader. I am so grateful that Dad developed a personal relationship with Jesus early and that together they led this family.
Many many times people stop to tell us what awesome kids we have. Dad is very quick to give all the glory and credit to God, but we all know that God was using Dad.
I see many of the same characteristics in Ben that I saw in Dad at an early age. Neither one of them are afraid of hard work and neither one of them are lacking in confidence. :-)
I am so glad that you recognize Dad for the unselfish, giving, supportive father that he is.
I thank God for Bear and the wonderful role model he was for Dad and I know Ben will be a wonderful model for Aiden like Dad has been for you and Jarod.
Love you all!
there, you did it again--made me cry. what you said about you dad, my son is very true. the past few years and even the past few months have had their challenges;but David has stood the test with great courage and faith.
You are blessed to have such great role models as your parents. Just dont be surprised when Aiden is very spoiled by them,of course none of the rest of the family will be involved in that process.
Its going to be such fun to watch gigi and poppy with Aiden!!
Bear is/was so proud of all the "guys" in our family.
Love, Mamaw
reading the words of my daughter made me cry. followed by the words of my wife and my mother... it is ... beyond words. i am so happy that my weaknesses have been covered by your love and Gods grace. nothing means more to me than your love. ben has been a gift from God and an answer to prayer and i am sure aiden will be the same. he will be special as we have previously blogged. but his mom will be blessed as i have been by Gods grace and all of those who love her. my parents modeled that for me and i hope mom and i have been that kind of example for you.
thank you for the loving words. i will never forget them. i will never let anyone else forget them either. i am printing it in case some computer problem develops for any of you.
Post a Comment