On saturday march 15th I woke up feeling very strange for some reason I was incredibly emotional and very sick to my stomach. I got up early with ben who was going to the Arnold Palmer Invitational (golf tournament in Orlando). I was feeling very nauseas and had to throw up a couple times before he left. I had no idea what was going on because I haven't been nauseas or had to vomit in a very very long time. Ben left for the golf tournament and I got ready for the day. I had some errands to run and I went to Babies R Us, target, Blockbuster....I didn't feel "right" all day though. I even told several people in my family this who did not believe me. Around the middle of the day I started to think I was losing control of my bladder because for lack of a better term I kept "leaking". I honestly thought that maybe with Aiden pressing on my bladder and me being so fat that I was starting to lose control. Around 10 pm I started thinking this is really strange...maybe I should just go to the hospital and get it checked out. It was 10 pm on a saturday night so I couldn't very well call my doctor. I called ben at work and said "I think I may need to go to the hospital" to which his response was "ummm ok...well could you call me back when you decide." I got off the phone and thought ok I will just call my doctor and see if their answering service tells me what I should do about going to the hospital to get checked. Someone answered (which suprised me) and I asked if this person could answer a medical question for me, they said no but that they would page the on call doctor and he would call me back. I said ok although I was starting to feel foolish. The doctor called me back and I explained to him the whole "peeing on myself...losing control of my bladder theory" I had going. He told me to immediately head to the hospital to be checked. I said ok and called ben back. He came home from work and we headed to the hospital. The whole way there I kept saying "I am going to look so stupid, this is nothing". I hated the thought of crying wolf about nothing. I got to the hospital at 11:30 pm and they began their exam of me...at this point ben kept asking "do you think we should call your parents?" and I said no, I definitely did not want anyone to know especially if they were going to tell me I was stupid. They hooked both Aiden and I up to monitors and monitored my contractions (which I was having although they were small) and they checked to see if I had ruptured membranes (also known as water breaking). Well after about an hour my contractions didn't seem to be getting any closer together or more intense and they still could not determine if the water was broken or not. They took me off the monitors and asked me to walk around to see if we could get the amniotic fluid to come down....I stood up and it immediately came down so there was no more need for walking. At this point they said my water was indeed broken and that I would be admitted and that Aiden was going to be born. I was so shocked and confused. I had convinced myself that I had overreacted and this couldn't be it. So they hooked me up to IV's and pitocin to intensify my contractions and to bring them closer together. I labored on my own until 8 am. But then I was still only dilated to a 3 and the contractions were becoming incredibly unbearable so I asked for the epidural. Because of how short staffed they were and all the women in labor the anesthesiologist did not come to give me the epidural until around 9:30 at which point I was in EXTREME pain. He gave me the epidural (which is not a pleasant procedure in itself) and then we waited for 30 minutes to see if the pain would subside. It never did. I was feeling every single contraction and with just as much if not more intensity. So at 10 am he came back and tried to give me the epidural again by putting it in a different spot. It STILL would not work. At this point I was getting VERY upset because of the amount of pain I was in and it was beginning to dawn on me that I might have to do this completely on my own. However; we tried one more time, 3rd time is the charm right? It worked! I started to feel relief. I labored like this for a while, I could barely feel the contractions but I could still feel them which I wasn't supposed to be able to feel anything. I didn't care, it was SOOOO much better than before so although I was not completely numb (as you should be with the epidural) it was better. At 3pm they told me I was finally 9 and 3/4 centimeters dilated and we would begin pushing soon. My parents arrived at 3:15 and they got to come in and visit with Ben and I for a couple minutes and then they had to go to the waiting room cause I was ready to push. By the time we got to the pushing the epidural had completely worn off and I was feeling everything. This was so not what I had in mind, but there was nothing I could do about it at that point. I pushed for about 45 minutes, the HARDEST 45 minutes of my life. Ben was way more involved in the process then he had planned for and I was in way more pain then I had prepared for. At 4:34 eastern time on sunday march 16th Aiden finally made his grand debut! He weighed in at 6 lbs 5 oz and he was perfect. It was by far the most emotional moment of my life. From start to finish I was in labor 17 hours but it was all worth it and I was only in great amounts of pain for half the time. By the time we left the hospital on tuesday Aiden had dropped down to 5 lbs and 15 oz. It is expected that babies will lose weight right after birth so it wasn't anything concerning. We have now been home for 3 full days and we are doing great. I am not going to lie...the first few days were a huge emotional roller coaster for me and I was much more sore than I anticipated. I am not really sure what I expected but I thought I would just bounce back from giving birth and feel normal again....that is not exactly how it happened though. It is friday now though and both Aiden and I are doing great. We took Aiden to the doctor this morning for his first check up and he has gained some of his weight back, he is back up to 6 lbs 1 oz and the doctor seems to think he is doing great. I think that about covers the entire birth story. We are so incredibly blessed. Our baby is absolutely amazing and beautiful. He is so much more petite then we thought he would be. I guess thats what happens when you decide to come early! Our little over achiever! Ben and I are very much in love with our son. We know you would be too if you were here. We want to thank everyone who has called and written and of course the family that was here. We have been showered with love and we are very grateful. Now that things are beginning to calm down....all of our visitors have now left except for my mom....I will begin updating the blog again, dont be suprised if its all pics of my beautiful baby though! We are a bit obsessed with taking pics of him right now!
Friday, March 21, 2008
Birth Story
Well I am FINALLY getting back to feeling like myself and I have started sleeping on average 5 hours a night so now I will take the time to write out our birth story. So here goes....
On saturday march 15th I woke up feeling very strange for some reason I was incredibly emotional and very sick to my stomach. I got up early with ben who was going to the Arnold Palmer Invitational (golf tournament in Orlando). I was feeling very nauseas and had to throw up a couple times before he left. I had no idea what was going on because I haven't been nauseas or had to vomit in a very very long time. Ben left for the golf tournament and I got ready for the day. I had some errands to run and I went to Babies R Us, target, Blockbuster....I didn't feel "right" all day though. I even told several people in my family this who did not believe me. Around the middle of the day I started to think I was losing control of my bladder because for lack of a better term I kept "leaking". I honestly thought that maybe with Aiden pressing on my bladder and me being so fat that I was starting to lose control. Around 10 pm I started thinking this is really strange...maybe I should just go to the hospital and get it checked out. It was 10 pm on a saturday night so I couldn't very well call my doctor. I called ben at work and said "I think I may need to go to the hospital" to which his response was "ummm ok...well could you call me back when you decide." I got off the phone and thought ok I will just call my doctor and see if their answering service tells me what I should do about going to the hospital to get checked. Someone answered (which suprised me) and I asked if this person could answer a medical question for me, they said no but that they would page the on call doctor and he would call me back. I said ok although I was starting to feel foolish. The doctor called me back and I explained to him the whole "peeing on myself...losing control of my bladder theory" I had going. He told me to immediately head to the hospital to be checked. I said ok and called ben back. He came home from work and we headed to the hospital. The whole way there I kept saying "I am going to look so stupid, this is nothing". I hated the thought of crying wolf about nothing. I got to the hospital at 11:30 pm and they began their exam of me...at this point ben kept asking "do you think we should call your parents?" and I said no, I definitely did not want anyone to know especially if they were going to tell me I was stupid. They hooked both Aiden and I up to monitors and monitored my contractions (which I was having although they were small) and they checked to see if I had ruptured membranes (also known as water breaking). Well after about an hour my contractions didn't seem to be getting any closer together or more intense and they still could not determine if the water was broken or not. They took me off the monitors and asked me to walk around to see if we could get the amniotic fluid to come down....I stood up and it immediately came down so there was no more need for walking. At this point they said my water was indeed broken and that I would be admitted and that Aiden was going to be born. I was so shocked and confused. I had convinced myself that I had overreacted and this couldn't be it. So they hooked me up to IV's and pitocin to intensify my contractions and to bring them closer together. I labored on my own until 8 am. But then I was still only dilated to a 3 and the contractions were becoming incredibly unbearable so I asked for the epidural. Because of how short staffed they were and all the women in labor the anesthesiologist did not come to give me the epidural until around 9:30 at which point I was in EXTREME pain. He gave me the epidural (which is not a pleasant procedure in itself) and then we waited for 30 minutes to see if the pain would subside. It never did. I was feeling every single contraction and with just as much if not more intensity. So at 10 am he came back and tried to give me the epidural again by putting it in a different spot. It STILL would not work. At this point I was getting VERY upset because of the amount of pain I was in and it was beginning to dawn on me that I might have to do this completely on my own. However; we tried one more time, 3rd time is the charm right? It worked! I started to feel relief. I labored like this for a while, I could barely feel the contractions but I could still feel them which I wasn't supposed to be able to feel anything. I didn't care, it was SOOOO much better than before so although I was not completely numb (as you should be with the epidural) it was better. At 3pm they told me I was finally 9 and 3/4 centimeters dilated and we would begin pushing soon. My parents arrived at 3:15 and they got to come in and visit with Ben and I for a couple minutes and then they had to go to the waiting room cause I was ready to push. By the time we got to the pushing the epidural had completely worn off and I was feeling everything. This was so not what I had in mind, but there was nothing I could do about it at that point. I pushed for about 45 minutes, the HARDEST 45 minutes of my life. Ben was way more involved in the process then he had planned for and I was in way more pain then I had prepared for. At 4:34 eastern time on sunday march 16th Aiden finally made his grand debut! He weighed in at 6 lbs 5 oz and he was perfect. It was by far the most emotional moment of my life. From start to finish I was in labor 17 hours but it was all worth it and I was only in great amounts of pain for half the time. By the time we left the hospital on tuesday Aiden had dropped down to 5 lbs and 15 oz. It is expected that babies will lose weight right after birth so it wasn't anything concerning. We have now been home for 3 full days and we are doing great. I am not going to lie...the first few days were a huge emotional roller coaster for me and I was much more sore than I anticipated. I am not really sure what I expected but I thought I would just bounce back from giving birth and feel normal again....that is not exactly how it happened though. It is friday now though and both Aiden and I are doing great. We took Aiden to the doctor this morning for his first check up and he has gained some of his weight back, he is back up to 6 lbs 1 oz and the doctor seems to think he is doing great. I think that about covers the entire birth story. We are so incredibly blessed. Our baby is absolutely amazing and beautiful. He is so much more petite then we thought he would be. I guess thats what happens when you decide to come early! Our little over achiever! Ben and I are very much in love with our son. We know you would be too if you were here. We want to thank everyone who has called and written and of course the family that was here. We have been showered with love and we are very grateful. Now that things are beginning to calm down....all of our visitors have now left except for my mom....I will begin updating the blog again, dont be suprised if its all pics of my beautiful baby though! We are a bit obsessed with taking pics of him right now!



On saturday march 15th I woke up feeling very strange for some reason I was incredibly emotional and very sick to my stomach. I got up early with ben who was going to the Arnold Palmer Invitational (golf tournament in Orlando). I was feeling very nauseas and had to throw up a couple times before he left. I had no idea what was going on because I haven't been nauseas or had to vomit in a very very long time. Ben left for the golf tournament and I got ready for the day. I had some errands to run and I went to Babies R Us, target, Blockbuster....I didn't feel "right" all day though. I even told several people in my family this who did not believe me. Around the middle of the day I started to think I was losing control of my bladder because for lack of a better term I kept "leaking". I honestly thought that maybe with Aiden pressing on my bladder and me being so fat that I was starting to lose control. Around 10 pm I started thinking this is really strange...maybe I should just go to the hospital and get it checked out. It was 10 pm on a saturday night so I couldn't very well call my doctor. I called ben at work and said "I think I may need to go to the hospital" to which his response was "ummm ok...well could you call me back when you decide." I got off the phone and thought ok I will just call my doctor and see if their answering service tells me what I should do about going to the hospital to get checked. Someone answered (which suprised me) and I asked if this person could answer a medical question for me, they said no but that they would page the on call doctor and he would call me back. I said ok although I was starting to feel foolish. The doctor called me back and I explained to him the whole "peeing on myself...losing control of my bladder theory" I had going. He told me to immediately head to the hospital to be checked. I said ok and called ben back. He came home from work and we headed to the hospital. The whole way there I kept saying "I am going to look so stupid, this is nothing". I hated the thought of crying wolf about nothing. I got to the hospital at 11:30 pm and they began their exam of me...at this point ben kept asking "do you think we should call your parents?" and I said no, I definitely did not want anyone to know especially if they were going to tell me I was stupid. They hooked both Aiden and I up to monitors and monitored my contractions (which I was having although they were small) and they checked to see if I had ruptured membranes (also known as water breaking). Well after about an hour my contractions didn't seem to be getting any closer together or more intense and they still could not determine if the water was broken or not. They took me off the monitors and asked me to walk around to see if we could get the amniotic fluid to come down....I stood up and it immediately came down so there was no more need for walking. At this point they said my water was indeed broken and that I would be admitted and that Aiden was going to be born. I was so shocked and confused. I had convinced myself that I had overreacted and this couldn't be it. So they hooked me up to IV's and pitocin to intensify my contractions and to bring them closer together. I labored on my own until 8 am. But then I was still only dilated to a 3 and the contractions were becoming incredibly unbearable so I asked for the epidural. Because of how short staffed they were and all the women in labor the anesthesiologist did not come to give me the epidural until around 9:30 at which point I was in EXTREME pain. He gave me the epidural (which is not a pleasant procedure in itself) and then we waited for 30 minutes to see if the pain would subside. It never did. I was feeling every single contraction and with just as much if not more intensity. So at 10 am he came back and tried to give me the epidural again by putting it in a different spot. It STILL would not work. At this point I was getting VERY upset because of the amount of pain I was in and it was beginning to dawn on me that I might have to do this completely on my own. However; we tried one more time, 3rd time is the charm right? It worked! I started to feel relief. I labored like this for a while, I could barely feel the contractions but I could still feel them which I wasn't supposed to be able to feel anything. I didn't care, it was SOOOO much better than before so although I was not completely numb (as you should be with the epidural) it was better. At 3pm they told me I was finally 9 and 3/4 centimeters dilated and we would begin pushing soon. My parents arrived at 3:15 and they got to come in and visit with Ben and I for a couple minutes and then they had to go to the waiting room cause I was ready to push. By the time we got to the pushing the epidural had completely worn off and I was feeling everything. This was so not what I had in mind, but there was nothing I could do about it at that point. I pushed for about 45 minutes, the HARDEST 45 minutes of my life. Ben was way more involved in the process then he had planned for and I was in way more pain then I had prepared for. At 4:34 eastern time on sunday march 16th Aiden finally made his grand debut! He weighed in at 6 lbs 5 oz and he was perfect. It was by far the most emotional moment of my life. From start to finish I was in labor 17 hours but it was all worth it and I was only in great amounts of pain for half the time. By the time we left the hospital on tuesday Aiden had dropped down to 5 lbs and 15 oz. It is expected that babies will lose weight right after birth so it wasn't anything concerning. We have now been home for 3 full days and we are doing great. I am not going to lie...the first few days were a huge emotional roller coaster for me and I was much more sore than I anticipated. I am not really sure what I expected but I thought I would just bounce back from giving birth and feel normal again....that is not exactly how it happened though. It is friday now though and both Aiden and I are doing great. We took Aiden to the doctor this morning for his first check up and he has gained some of his weight back, he is back up to 6 lbs 1 oz and the doctor seems to think he is doing great. I think that about covers the entire birth story. We are so incredibly blessed. Our baby is absolutely amazing and beautiful. He is so much more petite then we thought he would be. I guess thats what happens when you decide to come early! Our little over achiever! Ben and I are very much in love with our son. We know you would be too if you were here. We want to thank everyone who has called and written and of course the family that was here. We have been showered with love and we are very grateful. Now that things are beginning to calm down....all of our visitors have now left except for my mom....I will begin updating the blog again, dont be suprised if its all pics of my beautiful baby though! We are a bit obsessed with taking pics of him right now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Aiden is so beautiful, I believe that baby is a GENIUS. :)
MISS ALL OF YOU ALREADY, I NEED MORE BABY AIDEN SNUGGLES :(
Post a Comment