First I LOVE that people who NEVER comment on my blog commented last time! That is too funny, you all did read the part about where I'm not very close to achieving any of those awards right?
So since we have been back from santa fe, I have had the hardest time getting everything back in working order. First, just finding places for all of aiden's new things was a challenge. I packed up a lot of his old things and it forced me to clean out a lot, which is a good thing, just time consuming. Getting all the christmas decorations taken down and put up in the attic has also been somewhat time consuming. As well as just getting back into a routine.
So here's an update for those who may not know. Ben has gotten a job with christian care center in fort worth. He has been hired on a "temporary" basis until they can restructure him a permanent position. Basically what happened is that ben had interviewed with them several times and they told him repeatedly that they wanted to hire him but there was restructuring in the company that needed to happen first so we were waiting and waiting. They called right before christmas and told him that they were still trying to work out a position for him but that in the meantime they wanted to offer him a temporary position so that at least he could start there and start getting his feet wet so to speak. So that's where we're at. Ben started his "temporary" position with them the monday after we got back from santa fe. We are very much hoping that in the not too far off future he will be offered a permanent position with them. Again it's just a waiting game to see what our future holds.
So in the wake of daddy going back to work full time aiden and I have been making adjustments as well. Mostly aiden is having to get used to the fact that daddy isn't here when he wakes up in the morning and throughout the day and I'm having to get used to only being able to get certain things done when aiden is napping or at school. How nice it was to have ben's help full time. I have however; noticed that I think aiden (now that he is adjusted ) is better behaved when both of us are not here. It's like he can't play us against each other or something. When I tell him no and to go sit in his time out chair (which he does by himself now) he does it. He stops his actions, he calms himself down. He's much better. I think we're actually getting a hold of the attitude problems! At least for right now. It's still a challenge when we are in a public setting but he is getting more used to my "I'm not happy with you" tone and demeanor and that means he needs to stop.
And then because of the craziness that we experienced when we first came back from our vacation...needing to get so much done, trying to get back into a routine, daddy going back to work, etc. I didn't make aiden give up his bottle the first week we were back. I rationalized it that that would be just too much to handle. I did however stick to it THIS week and I can report that aiden is on his 5th day without ANY botttle!!! I actually think we are in the acceptance phase of the bottle greiving process! We hit all 5 of the stages of grieving our bottle loss. First day we had absolute denial and repeated requests for the bottle but never really realizing it was indeed gone. The second day we turned to out and out anger and screamed and asked for it all day long and threw sippy cups to the ground when they were offered. The third day he tried bargaining and asked for his bottle only in certain situations and in such a sad manner that had I not thrown it away (to not tempt myself to give in) I might have given in. He would ask for it before bed, he would ask for it after he'd been hurt or upset. This was a sad day for us both. He always asked with tears and sadness in his eyes. The fourth day I think we dealt with depression or fine "I don't care anymore". He stopped asking for his bottle but refused to drink his sippy cup with milk in it. He would only take juice and then only if he was very very thirsty. Now today I think we are on to acceptance...he ate his breakfast this morning AND drank milk out of his sippy cup and he has yet to refuse a sippy cup or asked about his bottle! I'm not sure it's still only noon so he may still retroact and have more withdrawls from the bottle but as of now I'm feeling good that we might have grieved the bottle and moved on. I certainly hope so!
Ok so that's it for the update at our house. I am sorry the past 2 posts have been without pictures, VERY unlike me! I promise pictures with my next post.
Friday, January 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You are doing great! Let me give you one piece of advise about the whole bottle thing. Be sure to tell everyone who might be taking care of Aiden at any given time that you are not giving him the bottle anymore. I made the mistake of forgetting to tell a friend of mine who was watching one of my children for an afternoon and they gave it back to her. I had to start all over again. Major downer!
GOOD JOB on giving up the bottle!!! That IS hard to do. Glad he's doing just fine without...
Yeah! Good job on sticking to your guns on that bottle thing. I have a friend on facebook that keeps posting pictures of her baby who must be close to four and he is STILL running around with his pacifier in his mouth!!! Can you believe?
Post a Comment