I chose to do a mommy & me day surrounding APPLES because of the time of year we're in. Apples are great for FALL and apples symbolize the start of the school year. It is said that apples represent the hope that the coming year will be sweet! So aiden had a fun day learning about apples, playing with apples, cooking and eating some apples!
First I wanted to do some "teaching" to aiden about where apples come from and the types of apples. My original idea was to take him to an apple orchard so that we could pick them off trees, BUT then after some searching I realized the closest apple orchard where you can do that is 40 minutes away from the dallas/ fort worth metroplex so then I decided that I would teach aiden the city kid way of where apples come from....
The MARKET!!!
We went to central market, where they have over 20 varieties of apples and I tried to show aiden the differences in colors and let him pick out the ones we would use throughout the day.
A whole wall of different kinds of apples. Aiden's very good at "picking" apples!
Then we came home and I did a little bit better job of explaining apples to aiden through the help of many many many books on apples given to my by my retired school teacher mother. Aiden's really into books now!
And I love this picture, I almost believe he is reading! After I felt like we had done enough education on apples, it was PLAY time!!! We went to work making apple crafts.
This was messy work.
But aiden had a blast with paint, I don't have many pictures of actually creating the crafts because my undivided attention was needed to not destroy our kitchen!
We painted the inside of the apples red, yellow, and green to symbolize the 3 different colors apples come in.
And then I let aiden make apple prints.
He loved the pressing down part!
This is what we were making when aiden was painting his hand green and I was allowing him to do that. You were wondering weren't ya?! :) Aiden's personal apple tree.
And we also made this fun little magnet to remind us about apples and back to school, this magnet is already on our fridge and is where we are going to put papers that come home from school. After crafting, it was time for the best part of apples, EATING!!!
Aiden checking out the star in the middle of the apple. He loved that!
And he was SUCH a big help to me in the kitchen!
I made this grilled apple salad for dinner. I saw a picture of it online and thought it sounded different and good and it was!
And we made this apple crisp for a yummy FALL dessert!
And we served it with ice cream that night which was delicious but the next morning aiden and I had the leftovers with yogurt for breakfast and that was amazing as well!

10 comments:
i would love to have a pic of Aiden "reading" the book about apples. Also you could bring over some of the apple crisp. It would be such a special gift from my Great-Grandson!!
Love the pics and apple teachings!!!
Yum! I will take the grilled apple salad please! I have made lots of apple things with kids before.
Apple sauce, apple butter, apple fritters, apple pie.....but never apple salad.
I too, am going to need a copy of him reading the book. Too precious!
That grilled apple salad really does look good. I even like that new apple salad with pecans that WENDY'S has!!
Apple crisp has always been one of my favs. Cute idea.
Is it feeling like Fall there yet?
How many of the 20 varieties did you two try out?
Forget about the lesson you are teaching Aiden. You are starving us all to death with your cooking skills. Your dishes are not only healthy, but pretty.
I love it....
I'm such a bookworm. It excited me so much when you said Aiden liked to read. I hope that stays with him when he grows older!! :)
Love Aiden's Apple tree!
Hey barb, no it does NOT feel like fall hee yet unfortunately, although I am pretending :) and we only tried about 4 of the varieties. Apples are expensive!!
Post a Comment