Friday, September 19, 2008

6 month check up

I realize right now I am posting a lot but I am writing these things so that I will remember them and have them documented, just as much as because I want to share with everyone. Aiden seems to be in this phase where he is just changing DAILY! He does something new, masters it, and moves on in literally a day. It is so funny to me. He struggled for a good month on sitting up. He WOULD sit up but he would lean on his hands or fall over in a minute or so and then just like a few days ago he all the sudden just started sitting perfectly and will sit by himself for 30 minutes! It's crazy. This rolling over thing, I just posted the other day that he rolled from his back to his front for the first time. Now he is a little roly poly!!! He does it ALL THE TIME! We put him down for his nap on his back, we check on him and he's on his tummy, we check again he's on his back but at the other end of the crib, check again..tummy. He is just rolling away. I think right now he has this rolling thing down better than "scooting" or crawling so he has figured out it's a good form of movement. Plus how aware he is of his surroundings is just amazing me. We have started reading to him every night and it's so funny to see him sitting up and looking at the book while we turn the pages. He actually watches. Sometimes he tries to grab the book and put it in his mouth (of course) but I just think it's great that he can focus on small things like that. He has also (to our dismay) learned the crying game. Anyone who knows aiden well knows he has never been a "cry baby" he cries only when something is wrong...hungry, tired, hurt, etc. Now he has learned that crying gets him stuff! For example last night I was reading him a book on my lap while ben got his bath ready and I gave him the book to hold and play with for a little bit and ben came back in the room to get him for bath time and took his book away!! He immediately started shrieking!! He cried and cried until ben gave him a rubber ducky to play with! Another example...this morning I gave him a little ring rattle thing to play with while I made his cereal and then I came back to feed him and took it away, again he immediately started crying! I can't believe I have a baby old enough to be upset if toys get taken away!

Ok so onto the check up yesterday. Aiden and I drove to fort worth to see his new doctor. His appt was at 8:45 which was a VERY big mistake on my part because I had to get up at 6 and get him out the door by 7. For one he is not even awake at that time so I had to wake him up and take him to the car. I didn't bother getting him dressed or anything, I was hoping he would go back to sleep in the car. For two, I HAVE to learn that whatever time I THINK I need to leave at...I should back that up by 30 mins so I can actually leave on time. There is sooooo much that goes into getting aiden and I out the door. There is like this checklist in my head and so many things to remember. First I have to pack the diaper bag which is bottles, water, formula, wipes, diapers, toys, medicine (just in case), blanket, burp cloth, and extra set of clothes (just in case). Then on normal instances there is getting aiden ready...picking out outfit, dressing him, finding socks and shoes, making sure he is fed before he goes into the car seat. Then checking to make sure "car" toys are in the car seat and stroller in the trunk. Then there is getting myself ready which is now the easiest part of the routine. So basically it is pretty much guarunteed I am going to forget at least one thing and hopefully it is something for myself or one of the "just in case" items, but either way it is inevitable that SOMETHING will get left behind. I am exhausted before I ever leave the house! So now you see why I just choose to stay home most of the time...you know if I go somewhere it is because I either REALLY want or need to go. I am convinced there is a special place in heaven for mothers of twins or triplets! I am exhausted with one!
Ok so that was really off topic...back to the dr. appt. I got there and immediately realized that I should not have scheduled this check up for a time when I would have to come by myself. Aiden is so incredibly grabby and into everything and I had all these forms I had to fill out for new patient. He kept grapping at the papers and grabbing my hand while I was writing and so they were all messed up and only halfway filled out when I gave them back. I needed about 7 hands to hold him still and get all the stuff I needed done and carry all the bags I have to take with me. So anyways we finally saw the dr. and she was great! Very sweet. Aiden weighs 19lbs and 5 oz. and is 29 inches long! He is in the 95th percentile for his height and 80th for his weight. He is a very big and healthy baby. She asked me how tall ben and I were and she showed me a chart of where he is at and said "take it for what it's worth but this is the scientific prediction of how tall he will be when he is full grown" It says he will be 6'4 or 6'5!!! I was like wow! We're tall but not that tall but she said well he may not end up being that tall but he is destined to be tall. I said well we have some short genes in our families too...and she kinda laughed and said "he didn't get them!"So besides that she tested his muscle strength, grip, bearing on his legs, sitting up, etc. and said that he is very strong for his age, she said she would guess he is more in line (strength wise) with a 9 month old baby. She tested the things he can do such as following small objects with his eyes, standing, sitting, babbling, grabbing for things, etc. and she said he is a little bit ahead as far as cognitive learning but not a whole bunch. So he basically had a glowing report! Our baby is a genius!!!haha We do have to do better about feeding him baby foods. We are not all the way through stage 1 and she said that we can start stage 2 whenever!
So I think that is it...I am trying to do better about documenting all this stuff because I really have to start working on aiden's scrap book again. I have done sooo bad. I was doing so good when I was still pregnant and ever since he has been here I just always seem to have better things to do!! who wants to volunteer to come help me???
Oh and one more thing....I am loving being in texas...yesterday it was somewhat cool, like cool enough for long sleeves! It's beginning to look like fall and that makes me soooo happy! In florida it is the middle of novemeber before long sleeves are needed. Who would have ever thought that someone could think of texas as a "cool" state! Just go live in florida for a while! Everyone have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

Sherry Bryant said...

On the scrap book thing...I have a friend who has her own business of just making people's scrapbooks. People give her all the "stuff" and then pay her to put it all together...(just if you were ever interested). Glad, but not surprised about your little genius! We knew he was super smart!!! Can't wait to see him, even though it's not for a whole weekend. ☺

Scooter Cox said...

she left out the most important thing about the Dr visit. Since it was in Fort Worth....it was like 2 miles from my school. She brought Aiden to my school for the first time. School Stopped!

All my kids had him in the floor and then we took him up and down the hall showing him off.

He was a happy baby even after getting 4 shots.

Sherry Bryant said...

That's so great!! I'm glad that your school kids got to see Aiden. That is a treat that EVERYONE should get!!