Friday, November 7, 2008

Love and tradition

I feel the need to write something about my husband. Ben is so incredibly wonderful and sometimes I take that for granted. I am so used to him being wonderful. Yesterday I had to go get my hair done in fort worth which ended up taking about 6 hours from the time I left the house to the time I got home. Ben not only took care of Aiden all day on his day off, he found time to do the dishes, the laundry, clean up, and go to the store! He is definitely amazing. Ben works 12 hour days all week long and then does things for aiden and I on his day off. He is quite the amazing husband and daddy. I am so incredibly grateful that I have him as a partner. He is the calm and steady that I so desperately need to balance me out. It is a blessing to know that no matter how bad things might get there is a person who is going to stand with you no matter what's on the horizon. Our marriage is priceless and I love my husband like crazy. Ben has always loved me more than I deserve but now to watch him be a doting daddy to our son fills my heart like no other. Aiden truly responds to Ben in a way that he doesn't to anyone else. Aiden loves his daddy. We are both truly lucky to have someone who works so hard for our family and loves us so much!

Ok now one more chance for group interaction (byt the way thanks for the advice those of you left!)....ok so everyone knows about our halloween pumpkin carving tradition. I love that tradition mostly because it is something ben and I have been doing since we first started dating so it's pretty cool that we have now added aiden. So I am big on traditions. I love them. With Aiden's first christmas coming up I want to start OUR family traditions....Ben has traditions from his family growing up and I have mine but I want some of our own. I hope that makes sense. So here's the group interaction part. I want people to give me ideas of great christmas traditions that you have heard about and/or done in your family or whatever. I love christmas and all things having to do with christmas and I plan on celebrating pretty much the entire month of december so lots of ideas are needed!!

7 comments:

Kimbrliann said...

We don't have any unusual Christmas traditions. We always did an advent candle in our house with the kids when they were growing up. It was fun picking out and buying the perfect advent candle with David and reading scripture every week of advent with the kids. I think they liked that a lot.

My favorite non-Christmas tradition in our family though is our FAMILY BEDTIME! We used to randomly have family bedtime where we would all pile in our bed and talk about things, laugh, tickle, cuddle, read books. My kids CHERISHED that time. We even do it some to this day, especially when we need to have little family meetings. It always turns into a lot of laughing and sharing.

David also always read to the kids every night when they were growing up. He would pick a large novel like the Harry Potter books or Lord of the Rings series and he would read a chapter or two every night to all of us. He would do character voices and we just adored it. I hate that we didn't tape any of those.

My favorite tradition growing up was going to look at Christmas lights. Bear was so huge on traditions and I loved it when he would drive us around for hours to find the perfect Christmas lights. We would play music in the car. It was awesome..

Kimbrliann said...

Also...Finding your soulmate, enjoying your life together and loving each other so completely is the most absolutely wonderful tradition of them ALL! I hope your kids follow in your footsteps and keep that tradition alive! Ben is a blessing and so are you Jen!

Brandi said...

Our traditions are that during the whole Christmas "season" we'll decorate the house, play christmas music, and watch christmas movies. We will also stay up the night of Christmas Eve with mom and dad and we'll watch the Polar Express. Then right before Blake and I go to bed dad reads us Twas the Night Before Christmas. Then we go to bed.

Monique and Michael said...

The very first Christmas Michael and I were together, we decided we wanted a tradition that would be relatively easy to keep up with but would still be memorable.. so we buy an ornament every single Christmas, and hang it on our tree! (We even have a picture commemorating this awesome moment every Christmas! Haha!) It's actually very cool to see the collection growing and see how much time we've been together and how many wonderful Christmas's we've celebrated. :)

This Christmas, we're going to ride the Polar Express (a new tradition). It's the Grapevine Historial Railroad here in Ft. Worth (the Tarantula). We've also always made it a point to watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas every single year - some years we squeeze more in, but that's one classic we just can't let slip by. :)

I'll keep you posted - we're starting some new ones of our own this year! :)

Scooter Cox said...

Ben is an awesome Daddy and a wonderful husband. We all know that when Aiden gets fussy in church we can pass him to Ben and he can calm him down. (He is MY FAVORITE son-in-law)

I get to listen to my kindergartners tell about their Christmas traditions every year and without fail their favorites are always something that involves serving others and family. It doesn't have to be fancy or a big production. It just has to be something that means something to your family.

It will probably come naturally just like your carving pumpkins.

Unknown said...

Growing up, my family traditions were a bit strange. Comes from such a wheels-off childhood, I guess. We did such things as rearranging the nativity scenes and seeing if Mom noticed, placing the birds on the tree (decorations that I never really liked) in inappropriate positions, and making ridiculous guesses about what our presents might be (for example, for years I guessed that all of my gifts were kites, no matter their shape or size).

My traditions since then, with Kim and the kids, have been much better. See Kim's post for what we do now.

Britt said...

We have some traditions. Every year, all the kids get a new ornament. Also, Mom makes Wassail. We watch Miracle on 34th Street and It's a Wonderful Life. Sometimes, we watch Christmas videos from different years. Dad, Mom, and I all put up the decorations together and take them down together. Stuff like that. I love Christmas time. I don't know what I'm going to do when I get married because I'm going to want to spend it with my family every year.