Thursday, June 10, 2010

Monday June 7th Mommy & Me= Fun with Fruit!

This is the kickoff of our new summer series! The next couple of weeks aiden and I will be doing some activities that center around my favorite things about SUMMER! So week 1= Fun with fruit! One of my favorite things about summer is that fresh fruit is readily available and in season so therefore it is affordable!!! Aiden LOVES fruit and it costs us an arm and a leg to get him berries and such through the winter months so I am so happy summer is here!

So for mommy & me this week we started our day at the farmers market to pick out the freshest of fruits!



We have picked out our favorite fruits and are headed home for some fun with fruits activities/ eating!!!

1st thing...I have NEVER made a pie from scratch before. I have helped. I have watched mamaw do this just about every thanksgiving and/or christmas but I personally have never made a pie all by myself so for a fun summer activity I decided aiden and I would have the pleasure of trying this by ourselves. So we picked out some fresh blueberries and spent our morning summer pie-making!!!I don't have many pictures of this...you try to make a pie from scratch for the first time WITH a 2 year old...but I did document the steps to the pie so everyone would know we really did make it. No store bought pie here!
Pie crust in...fluted edges??? Not so much. At this point I decided I did not care. Aiden didn't care either so we moved onto the filling.
Isn't it pretty??? I was starting to feel proud at this point!

AND...
Even prouder when done! Ok so it's not perfect but aiden and I had a ton of fun AND it tasted pretty yummy so I call it a success!!!

Next fun with fruit activity...we have pie, let's make cookies!!! Watermelon cookies that is!
We went outside and cut our ripe watermelon into strips for cookies. We used cookie cutters for our favorite "summertime" shapes.
We had flowers, ducks, footprints, and butterflies.
What yummy, delicious, and nutritious cookies!
Our little assembly area. These kind of cookies can end up getting quite messy but again oh so much fun. Plus since this week we have swimming lessons every day, aiden was already dressed in his swim clothes!
Aiden was really into punching out the cookies
So fun!
And finally...we even had some yummy fresh pineapple after swim lessons! Aiden is holding up his pineapple to show you!

What a fun day with fruit! I'm excited about this series of doing some of my favorite summertime things with aiden. What are some of your favorite summer things???

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I am very impressed with your pie!! I wish I had a piece right now with a dollop of ice cream on top.

And of course when I think of Fun Summertime activities - I think of the old-timey ice cream freezers that we used to have to take turns sitting on while Daddy or Grandaddy cranked it. I used to love to eat the rock salt that went on the ice. (Yeah, I know - that probably wasn't normal.) But you just can't beat home made ice cream sitting under a mimosa tree!

Scooter Cox said...

What a clever thing to do with cookie cutters.
I am so going to remember this.

I love the fruit too. I especially love getting the fruit at the farmers market where it is local.

I am so glad Aiden loves fruit. We will treat him to some of the best valley fruit at Padre.

Anonymous said...

Your pie was beautiful. And the cookie cutter idea was great. I just love mommy and me days. You are so creative. My blackberries will be ready to pick in about 2 weeks, I can't wait...

love you all

Grandma Karen said...

All I can say is YUM!!! Also, you are so lucky to have a child that likes healthy food.