Wednesday, June 2, 2010

OCD Aiden...Like Uncle, Like Nephew!!

I love aiden so much but sometimes his personality is in such contrast to mine that it drives me insane! Aiden has soooo many OCD tendencies that neither ben or I have and the only thing we can figure out is that he takes after my VERY OCD brother-Jarod. Aiden has to have everything just so. Things have to be how they're supposed to be or aiden is unhappy. Examples:

1) As soon as we get home we must take our shoes and socks off AND put them away. If we don't put them away aiden will pick up our shoes and hand them to us and say "closet" or he will pick up our shoes and take them to our closets for us.

2) If you open a door, you must then shut it. Doors cannot stay open. This is particularly annoying with our bedroom armoire that holds our TV. Aiden will not leave the house or the room until those doors are shut.

3) Aiden associates "lunch" with "sandwich". You cannot say do you want to eat lunch and then give him something other than a sandwich. He will sit in his chair and repeat "lunch" over and over until you get him a sandwich.

4) If he gets something on his clothes he will say "uh-oh messy" and repeat that until you either clean him or get him new clothes depending on how "messy" he thinks he is.

5) Ben HAS to sit in the leather club chair in our living room and I HAVE to sit in a certain spot on the couch. These are the spots we sit in usually when we are watching TV or whatever but sometimes during the day if ben's not here or whatever I will sit in the chair and Aiden will say "No mommy, daddy chair" or if I sit in a different place on the couch he will tell me no and try to move me over.

6) This works to our favor at night because when we say time for night- night aiden will start putting all his toys back in the ottoman (where they go) and then take all of the trains to his room. He's a hoarder after all and he can't sleep unless all the trains are safely in his room.


7) Aiden HATES sandals because he can't stand to not wear socks. Socks and shoes MUST go together in aiden's mind. If you are wearing socks around the house he will either take them off of you OR bring you shoes to put on. You cannot have one without the other. Little boys feet are going to be hot this summer cause he cries and throws a fit when you try to make him wear sandals. We are gonna work on this.

8) If you feed aiden anything it MUST be on a plate. I try to sometimes just put his sandwich or a couple of crackers or whatever on his tray for him and NO, he will say "plate" over and over again and touch no food until you bring a plate for it to go on.


9) Aiden is VERY polite but "thank you" and "your welcome" go together. If he says "thank you" and you don't say "your welcome" he will either continue to say "thank you" over and over again or he will say "your welcome aiden" to himself.

10) If someone leaves a plate or cup on the table or in our room or wherever other than the kitchen sink he will bring it to me to put in the sink or he will try to put it in the sink himself.

11) He will bring me little bits of trash that he finds and say "look trash" and I'll say "ok?? go put it in the trash" which he will happily run off to do. Aiden loves to put things in the trash and you CANNOT just have trash sitting around. If someone has a trash can/ compactor aiden cannot figure out it will turn into a problem. He will continue to say and yell "trash" until the trash is properly disposed of.

12) When he spills he will go to get a "napkin" or tell me repeatedly to get a napkin and then he will clean it up.

Some of this can be quite annoying just because aiden is SOOOO persistent. It must be the way it should be and it must be NOW. However; at some point I'm sure this will turn into an assett. His room will always be clean, along with his clothes and everything else he touches. This is not my child. This is VERY much the OCD child of my brother and I cannot wait to watch my brother when he gets the very messy, laid back child like ME!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he is destined for great things!
If I get the crazy messy kid, perhaps we can trade?

Debbie said...

Ok. I can trace this gene. It went from me - to Jarod - to Aiden. Somehow that gene skipped Gigi!! ha ha But, he is in good company in this family because Brittany is VERY OCD about things like this too. I could write a book about the little things that "HAVE" to be a certain way before she can be OK with it. He is welcome at my house anytime. :-)

Van said...

OH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....another one...I don't have a chance...if I walk off of the carpet without houseshoes on, Deb will just stare at my feet and give me this look and then I can't just go put my houseshoes on...no no no, I have to go wash my feet first and let's don't even mention closets.......and Brit is in the background backing Deb on all of this (can we say Deb, Jr.. One of Ruby's favorite saying was...this too will pass, but that does not apply to this group:)

Jennifer said...

DEB!!! I'm so having an epiphany right now! I had not traced it to the 3rd generation! I knew my brother was an oddball when he came from my parents who were so NOT OCD and aiden is definitely an oddball coming from ben and I who are so not OCD...it's a gene that is skipping around through aunts and uncles. That is too funny!

And noooo Jarod we cannot trade. It will be MUCH more interesting to watch you have a messy child!

Van said...

YESSSSSSSSSSS....he deserves that, just as Deb deserved ME...

Scooter Cox said...

Yes, it is very fun to watch. The other day at the house we were fixing something for dinner and I had the silverware drawer open. I turned my back to get something out of the refrigerator before I finished getting utensils and he had the drawer closed before I got back.

He doesn't even realize he does it.

It's automatic.

It will be very interesting to watch if he gets a messy little sister if he will iron her clothes before she goes to school so she won't be wrinkled and reflect poorly on him.

Sherry Bryant said...

This is sooooo Blake too!! We would have to pick up the odd french fry that he'd drop at a restaurant to throw away. If Blake would find our stuff around the house, he wouldn't put it away...he'd throw it in the trash! Soooo, I see lots of Blake here in this blog!! (sorry....) :)

Van said...

Brit walks through the house turning off lights and closing doors...and on more than one occaision, I have been in my closet looking for something and she has closed the door and turned the light off...I feel sorry for her roommate at Harding.

David Cox said...

LOL
God is so funny.

Brandi said...

woah i love this little kid! he is soooooo cute! im pretty sure that you will never have a problem with disorganization in life ever! haha

PaPaw said...

Jen...Count your blessings. Just remember that his dorm room will
never look like Gigi's did. He definitely did not get that gene from her. Count your blessings. He will made a wonderful helper to help keep the house clean and organized.

Grandma Karen said...

He must have some of his Aunt Heather in him. She was born this way. Lucky for her she married Uncle Tom who is the same way. Their kids didn't stand a chance. lol. I reaped the benefits until she went away to collge. Boy was that a rude awakening. She made it look so effortless. Aiden certainly didn't get it from me or his grandpa White. Grandma Mary Ellen wasn't born with it but developed it later in life, so there is hope for children not lucky enough to be born with this trait. He's going to make some woman a great husband some day!