This past week Ben took a week off for vacation and the two of us spent the first 3 days of vacation all by ourselves!!! That's right, we packed up the kids and left them with their gigi and poppy (and some very detailed instructions) for 3 whole days. Big big big step for me! :) So let me back up...
Back in the day when we got married, when we were just two crazy kids making plans for our lives, we decided that we wanted to make our anniversaries special and so every anniversary we would try to go somewhere or at least go stay at a hotel or something. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Let me tell you how well that plan has worked out...we've been exactly no where by ourselves since our honeymoon! Funny how life doesn't play out the way you expect. I have zero complaints though, my life is much more than I ever dreamed. But yeah, going places by ourselves...it just doesn't happen.
So whenever we found out about this week of vacation he was going to get we decided that we needed to spend a couple days celebrating US and all the amazing things that have happened this year. It is our 5 year wedding anniversary (and maybe if we can't do something every year we can at least plan for the big ones?? 5, 10, 15, 20...), plus ben just got his big promotion, and of course we added our beautiful daughter to our family. We have a lot to celebrate! So after much discussing, we opted for a quick getaway to San Antonio. We would celebrate our anniversary by ourselves, have a few days of R&R and then come home and spend the rest of our vacation as a family.
So we got up bright and early monday morning and headed to san antonio to hit the ground running. We got there and immediately started our sightseeing plans for monday! Ben had never been to san antonio and I hadn't been since my 5th grade texas history trip so it was all kind of new to us.

We started our day where else?? At the alamo!!!
We saw the video, we did the tour, we took more pictures than this and then we went off to the riverwalk where it was SOOOOO hot!!! DFW was getting a ton of storms and rain and san antonio was getting blazing hot heat, in the upper 90-100's. Crazy hot to be walking around sightseeing. We went for lunch on the riverwalk.
At a tex mex place of course!

And then just more walking and looking, walking and shopping. The riverwalk is a long walk though so we opted to get on one of the riverboat cruise tours.


Cause it was soooo hot! :)
On the riverboat. This was a much better way to get to see everything. With a nice breeze on the boat where you cover the 5 miles in 30 minutes. We had already walked the whole thing at this point but still felt like fish out of water cause we weren't real sure what we were even looking at. So the riverboat cruise was great for us.

A boat full of the red hat ladies. I just thought this was funny.

Friendship sculpture given to the city of san antonio when they hosted the worlds fair!
***See ya learn some stuff on the river boat cruise!***
In the turn around of the river walk, at the river center mall. This was our last stop in downtown san antonio before heading out to the hill country for our relaxing part of the vacation!
Welcome to the JW Marriott Hill country resort & spa.
Also known as one of my new favorite places on earth!
You see deer if you walk the property or just drive around the property slowly. So serene and awesome. Monday night we went out for an early yummy italian dinner (which I don't have pics of) and then back to our hotel room to crash and to watch the Mavs play. Yes even we're away we must support the mavs and we were both too beat to watch the game downstairs at the awesome sports bar so up to the room we went.
Ben lounging on the couch in our room rooting on the mavs.
Ben was not pleased with me that I didn't bring any mavs gear to wear during the game, so here I am in the only navy T-shirt I brought rooting on the team from the room. My hubby's a bit crazy! and yes we're a bit lame...
Tuesday we slept in and were as lazy as we wanted to be. In fact we missed breakfast downstairs cause we were too late getting up and at 'em. But once we were up and dressed we started taking full advantage of the resort. We spent the whole day at the pool/ water park/ lazy river. It was sooooo incredibly awesome.
Lunch at the poolside restaurant.

Ben coming down the water slide.

And splashing. Yep we played like we were kids again. So much fun.
I took pictures of the little kid areas cause I really want to go back with the whole family. This is just such an amazing hotel for adults, kids, families, everyone.
Ben and I each had 1 poolside beverage. Food and drinks at resorts are a tad on the crazy side. so here's our pics with our $10 drinks.
Pics from the inside of the hotel looking down on the water park area.
The pool area.
And yes we must have picked a GREAT time to go cause there was hardly anyone at the resort. It was so wonderful, like we had the whole place to ourselves.
Looking out towards the hill country/ golf course.
Tuesday night we ate at the hotel's restaurant "Cibolo Moon"
And the food there was quite fantastic also. And since we were feeling much more relaxed and rejuvenated, we went on a walk around the property after dinner and then to the sports bar to watch the Heat play in the eastern conference finals.
The crazy amazing sports bar.

I don't even like sports bars, but this was definitely something to see!
The resort lit up at night.
The pool.
Wednesday morning ben and I both got up early. He went to play golf at the hotel TPC golf course and I spent my morning at the spa. Before we had to get ready to leave and head back to reality.
This is the private pool spa that you can only go to if you've had a treatment at the spa. I could have spent all day at that amazing spa. There were steam rooms, saunas, whirlpools, the private lounges, private restaurant, and this private pool. It was like a private oasis in there. I wished I had had longer to just soak up all the amenities but once ben was done playing golf it was time to pack up and head back to town.
We caught the IMAX alamo show in downtown before leaving town cause my mom told us we just HAD to do that. And then we headed home. Getting in and picking up our kiddos around 8pm wednesday night.
It was a quick but awesome vacation!!! Just what we needed to recharge! We loved this resort so much and we greatly enjoyed our rest and pampering time. We found that we really enjoyed our mini-vacay but we also really missed our babies. It was hard to be away from them for 3 days and even though we were away we were still very much tired parents. Going to our room early, singing wiggles songs in the car instead of listening to the radio, calling to check on the kids too much. It's just the stage of life we're at. It's great to get away, it's also great to have so much to come home to!
Thanks so much poppy & gigi for keeping the kids. I can honestly say I don't think they missed us as much as we missed them, and that's a good thing! They were having too much fun with their grandparents! They can't wait for our 10 year getaway when they'll get to stay with you again :)
3 comments:
Looks like you had a great time. Interesting side note:
This is the resort I was at when you went into labor with Hallie. I spent about 1 hr there before we left and went to the rehearsal dinner for Cody. As soon as we got back that night we went to bed and the next morning caught the earliest flight out to come back to Arlington in order not to miss the birth of "Miss Priss".
Sounds and Looks like I need to go back.
So glad you had a good time. So happy to keep the sweetest kids in the world.
Kudos to their parents.
Looks like yall stayed at a very nice resort and had a very nice time! I think the heat down there has actually gotten worse since you left, so maybe you went at a good time after all.
Looks like a great vacation! I am so glad you two had a getaway. The hotel looks awesome.
Post a Comment