Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Resolution #4= Take care of My Skin

This is a boring resolution, at least to read about but it is one of my 10 "goals" for 2010.

I want to take better care of my skin, or rather take care of my skin at all. I have fortunately been blessed with fairly good skin and therefore I don't take care of it because I really don't need to. Let me explain, I still treat my skin the same way I did in high school and college. I rarely (if ever) remove makeup from my face. I rarely (if ever) wash my face, except in the shower, of course. I go to sleep most nights with makeup still on and don't think twice about it. Like I said, I have been blessed with good skin so I rarely (if ever) have breakouts. I don't use sunscreen, I don't use moisturizer, I don't usually use lotion unless for the scent (I don't need the moisture). So long story short I abuse my skin and I am very grateful that I am able to get away with that. NOW...

Recently "older" people have brought to my attention, how much their skin gives them grief. In the form of dry skin, in the form of varicose veins, in the form of age spots, sun spots, blotchiness, etc. I also saw a special on Oprah (yes, I watched like ONE day!) and she was doing a special on the "fountain of youth" and all these ladies came on who looked MUCH younger than they were and gave their "beauty" secrets. So many of them said it was taking care of their skin. Protecting their skin from sun damage, moisturizing, etc. So this has led me to believe even though I don't have issues with my skin NOW...I should start taking care of my skin NOW! So I made it one of my resolutions to pay attention to the health of my skin.

Specifically, I'm big on specifics... I used my christmas money to go out and buy myself a skincare regiment. I did research on the best lines that are CHEAP because as long as I don't have issues I'm not going to spend a lot of money on the skincare products but I did need the basics. So I went with the neutrogena deep clean line. I have the cleanser, toner, scrub, moisturizer, makeup remover, AND night cream! And I am proud to say I am using it all every single day. I shoot for 2 times a day but sometimes I settle for just one. It's hard for me to get in the habit of doing this when I never have before.


And for the rest of my body. I again used my christmas money. It wouldn't work to go against one of my resolutions (to save money) in favor of another resolution, to take care of my skin! So again I used my christmas gift cards to buy a body care line from origins which I am now in love with! I use the "incredible sugar scrub" almost every day in the shower and then I moisturize with the "soothing souffle". These two products are amazing and smell really nice too. My skin always feels so soft and luxurious after using these 2 products.
So that's pretty much what I am doing. It's not even remotely sunny out yet but when it starts to get that way, I will add in using a sunscreen to my daily skin care regiment but for now this is what I am doing in the hopes of keeping my skin healthy for a long time to come!

5 comments:

Brandi said...

i use neutrogena too!

Debbie said...

Well, I am impressed. I use Purpose soap to wash my face and Neutrogena Hand cream for moisture!! ha ha

Scooter Cox said...

this is a good goal. Don't forget your hands. Your hand will age first. Use sunscreen when driving.

Grandma Karen said...

I LOVE Origins.

You are right to start early and your mom is right about the hands. The fact that we wash them a millions times a day and that they are always exposed to the sun (hard to wear gloves in the summer)make them very vulnerable.

Keep up the good work.

Monique and Michael said...

Oh my goodness... I just typed out this whole long comment and then realized that Michael was signed in and not me, so it just deleted the whole thing! Haha!

OK, so the gist of what I said was - doing this for your skin is well worth while. I used to not consistently follow a skin care regiment but realized how much better I felt when I did! So I stick to it now! :) I used Clinique's 3-step line - I little pricier but my skin is so sensitive I can't get by with anything else, I've tried! Bliss makes an amazing eye makeup remover that you can get at Ulta (I got a $4 travel size before Christmas and still haven't used up 1/4 of it) that takes it ALL off with a little dab on a cotton ball. Good stuff! AND it moisturizes! :)

If you ever start using a product just for your eyes, let me know what you find that works... I'm looking to add something like that to my skin care but can't decide on anything to use!

In the summer, just an FYI, the Water Babies sunblock stick that's like 45/50 works GREAT on your face... I can't hardly use anything (again bc of my awesomely sensitive skin) and I can't say enough good things about it!!