Thursday, February 11, 2010

Valentine's Day = SNOW DAY

Today is valentine's day in our house. We have had this day planned for the longest time. Aiden's little valentine party at school was today and a group of my mommy friends from church had made plans to get together for a valentine's play date/ craft/ mommy chatting day. So when I found out that both of these things were going to happen on the same day I decided I would send aiden on to school for his party and I would go hang out with the mommies from church and whichever little kids weren't in school.

So then we wake up today to MASS amounts of snow! Ok maybe not mass amounts comparative to northern states but by far the most snow I have EVER seen in the state of texas and I was born and raised here. This is so crazy! whenever we get weather like this it is usually more ice than snow but this is snow. Real, flaky, and gorgeous SNOW! So I woke up early and watched the snow come down and debated what I was going to do about our plans for the day. Thy weren't canceling school because the roads seemed ok, wet but ok cause like I said it's snow and not ice. So I decided that we just needed to keep our plans. I didn't want aiden missing his party and I didn't want to miss my mommy time. I got aiden all packed up and dropped him off at school and went on to my friend's house. We had such a great morning talking and hanging out with each other. The snow just keeps coming down stronger and stronger though. I left my friend's house at 1 PM and found out that businesses were closing early, fort worth schools were letting out early and I wasn't anywhere close to a TV so I didn't know if aiden's school was getting out early or not but I decided I was going to go pick him up. I got there and apparently a lot of the parents had the same thought as me. I wanted to get aiden home quickly so I could get some cute shots of him playing in the snow but of course he hasn't napped, he would NOT leave his hat or hood on, he didn't want his coat on...just all in all he was being very uncooperative so I don't have very many good pictures.

Let's start at the beginning...
Yesterday I spent the majority of my day making cookies/ valentines for all the kids at aiden's school and the kids who were going to be at my play date today. It took MUCH longer than I anticipated and somewhere around 8PM last night I told ben "if they end up canceling school because of the weather and he doesn't get to give out these valentines I am going to be very upset!"
The supplies
Some of the valentines assembled. Everyone got a cookie, a valentine and some chocolate in a heart covered ziploc bag.
The front of our house this morning. Keep in mind there's a HUGE tree in our front yard that shades the right side of our lawn which is why there is no snow there, we definitely had enough for it to be covered.
Our street, such a winter wonderland!
This morning at breakfast, aiden is looking into the backyard at the snow coming down.
After I picked aiden up from school and immediately took him to the backyard to try and get some pictures...won't leave his hood on and won't let go of his sippy cup.
I like this one. It is still snowing HARD!
Getting all covered in snow because of NO hat!
This is what I get when I INSIST on the hood being ON!
And this face...
Ben came home at around 2:30 pm because of the roads getting bad out there and so we again tried to play in the snow for a little bit. Aiden is helping daddy make a snowman here.
I love it.
Aiden is still trying to play with his "push" toys in the snow!
You might have to enlarge this to see it. I'm gonna say aiden is trying to catch snowflakes in his mouth but I think in reality it has more to do with how mad he is about the hood/ coat!
Awww hugs from daddy.
The closest we came to a smile in the snow...by Aiden's snowman (it was his size)
And the 3 boys in the snow (aiden, zac, and ben) with mr. snowman of course! Who has crackers for his eyes!
Hey those are crackers! I can eat those!
And we're done....
So now we are just relaxing all snuggled up inside by the fire watching the snow come down. Happy valentine's day and snow day to all!!! What a bizarre/ fun/ crazy sort of day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH what fun!!!!!!!!!! Great job on the valentines. I believe Aiden is trying to eat the snowflakes in that picture and him eating the snowman eyes/crackers is priceless. I love snowmen and the picture with all the boys is wonderful.. Thanks for all the great pics.

Kimbrliann said...

You got some amazing pics. LOVE IT!

Grandma Karen said...

These pictures are priceless. Don't worry about Aiden not being happy. That is part of the charm taking as many pictures as you do. You get a snapshot (no pun intended) of all the moods an almost 2 year old has. Ten years from now you be glad you have the happy and not so happy pictures.